Friday, May 15, 2009

Advertisements for Premarin



R.M. Kellosalmi, B.Sc., M.D., L.M.C.C., physician and surgeon, Peachtree Medical Centre: "Premarin is the only estrogen containing materials from horses' urine, and most of the 10 known hormones in Premarin are not at all natural to the human female, being horse hormones that are chemically different from human hormones. No major clinical benefit has been accepted and proven for up to 8 of them. I prefer to know exactly what I am prescribing, Premarin contains a host of unknown ingredients that have not been identified. Any possible effects that could be caused by such ingredients are thus also unknown. The question has been raised as to whether Premarin would even pass if it were applying for FDA approval today, rather than 56 years ago. In those days, the regulations were far less stringent.




"I was placed on estrogen – Premarin – 0.625 mg daily. I did very poorly afterwards, and experienced menopausal symptoms: hot flashes, night sweats, and felt "yucky" most of the time[Ref 1] – definitely not my sparky self. After a few years I stopped taking Premarin. Several weeks after this, I went to my doctor requesting his assistance. I had conducted some research on hormone replacement therapy (HRT). I had read that the liver and other organs can produce similar hormones after the removal of gonads.[Ref 2] I wanted my blood tested to find out what amounts of hormone, if any, my body was naturally producing. My plan was to go back on Premarin, and have another blood test to determine my hormone level while taking it. Unfortunately my doctor scoffed at the whole idea. That was over 12 years ago, and I have not been to a doctor about my condition since.

I tried Premarin again for many months, but was not happy. For a few years I tried a natural estrogen, in the form of wild yam cream, applied atopically.[Ref 3] I felt better on it than Premarin, but not my old self. For the past 7 years I have taken nothing and feel better, not best, but better. All those taking HRT, please do your homework! Premarin stands for "Pregnant Mare's Urine". And that is exactly what it is. It is a grotesque industry which keeps large draft horses in stalls all day, hooked up to big funnels and pipes to collect their pee. You would think they could have been more imaginative with a name. It is a multi-million dollar business."

1 comment:

  1. MOD - DO YOU RECALL THE STORY ABOUT MADONNA FALLING OFF OF A HORSE? THAT HORSE WENT BUCK! MAYBE SHE HAD TOO MUCH PREMARIN IN HER SYSTEM AND THE HORSE WASN'T FEELING THAT SH*T!

    ReplyDelete